July 17, 2017

Rejuvenation


This is my mother's recipe box. Kind of sad, huh? She would say, "The contents are more important than the container."

But it seriously needed a make-over and since the theme for Simon's Monday Challenge Blog this week is Get In Shape, I decided to give the box a face lift (and won't she be surprised?!).



First came a good scrub down--scraping off the white stuff (it was paint) and lightly sanding the entire surface to prep for painting with a "multi-surface" off-white acrylic craft paint.

Sections from the Wallflower paper stash were cut to size, matte Modge Podge was used to attach them and I gave the paper's top surface a protective coat using matte Perfect Paper Adhesive.


Using design tape from the Idea-ology Rose collection, I trimmed-out all the box edges. Even though the tape is quite sticky, I used a quick dry PVC adhesive (Aleene's Tacky Glue) to make sure it stays put.


More pieces of design tape from the Rose and Butterfly collections were placed randomly over the surface of the paper (ala-collage).



Final touches came from thin black satin craft ribbon attached with fabric glue along with a rhinestone button, rescued by my great Aunt Esther, and kept in a button box that I inherited.

The button was attached only to the lid so it can still be opened. Now all I need to do is make some new index card dividers. I'll let mom do the alphabetizing!


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I really hope you'll join us for this week's challenge--the theme is so versatile with endless possibilities. What will you come up with?

The creation you upload to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog will give you a chance to win a $50 voucher at the Simon Says Stamp store!


Here's a list of products I used for this challenge:


12 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! I love the paper and tape and ribbon you used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous recipe box and such a wonderful keepsake for your mom. I love the rhinestone button you added from your great Aunt. What a wonderful addition to add even more meaning to the box. Absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how good your mom has got you! Love how you alterd her recipe box and the vintage look you gave it. Great transformation. Hugs, Macarena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely GORGEOUS recipe box! I am sure your Mum will love this! the papers and special button are fabulous!! LOVE it :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous box and I love the button with a bit of bling! :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty! I'm sure your Mom will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful change I love it, you've made great job. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a similar box, but mine has a funky yellow pattern from the 70's and I couldn't bare to alter it. But what fun and how clever! A stunning result. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  9. you have made over this recipe box into a work of art-so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, awesome!!! I love the black strapping, and the fact that the button is an heirloom makes this even more awesome... great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. so pretty!!!! I love the color and elements in the box, it just gives a wonderful mood to the box. I created an art box after seeing your work. Thanks for inspiring us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful transformation! Love the vintage look which is kind of neat, it being your mother's. So much prettier!! hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete